Sigrid Therapeutics unveils SiPore® to prevent oral pathogenic bacterial growth and plaque formation at International Dental Show 2023
Stockholm, Sweden, March 14th, 2023. Sigrid Therapeutics (Sigrid), a Swedish consumer-centric healthtech company today unveiled its revolutionary SiPore® technology for preventing dental caries and gum disease at the International Dental Show (IDS) in Cologne. Developed as one of the most important innovations since fluoride, SiPore® is a patented technology that consists of precisely engineered silica particles that can be added to toothpaste, mouth rinses and other formats to limit oral bacteria’s access to sugars and their ability to form dental biofilm. Already proven safe and effective in trials for other applications such as diabetes, obesity and gut health, Sigrid has expanded its platform technology into oral health and has filed an international patent application covering oral care compositions comprising SiPore® particles.
Professor Tore Bengtsson, Sigrid co-founder and CSO, and the inventor behind the SiPore® technology comments: “There is a very strong link between bad metabolic health and bad oral health, and this is a reason why we looked into this direction. We are excited by the possibility of our technology to help lessen the burden of sugars in the mouth and improve oral health”.
Leading Sigrid’s international expansion into the dental market is Damir Konakovic: “As a dentist, I believe SiPore® could be one of the biggest innovations in preventative oral health since fluoride and a game changer in the oral care industry. By effectively removing amylase, SiPore® decreases the availability of sugar and restricts the growth of pathogenic bacteria and the formation of dental biofilm and plaque. SiPore® is compatible with fluoride, but unlike fluoride it exerts its effect before the tooth has started to demineralize. Already we have attracted a great deal of interest among European dental professionals and KOL’s and IDS gives us now the opportunity to introduce SiPore® to the global oral health community. We are interested in collaborating with established oral care companies that seek to co-develop, commercialize, and bring our intellectual property and technology to market successfully.”
SiPore® is composed of micron-sized silica particles, which are a type of synthetic amorphous silica (SAS). Naturally occurring and environmentally friendly, SAS is tasteless and odorless. It is approved as a food additive, GRAS-listed (generally recognized as safe) and is widely used in foods, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical formulations. In addition to toothpaste and mouthwashes SiPore® can also be applied to a variety of formats.
“Along with diabetes and obesity, right from the beginning, we identified the oral health market in particular as a major opportunity”, says Sana Ajamovic, Sigrid’s Co-Founder and CEO. “Over 3.5 billion people worldwide suffer from oral caries and periodontal disease and with poor nutrition a growing problem, this number will only increase. SiPore® is a truly innovative technology that can make a real difference.”
For more information, please contact:
Prof. Tore Bengtsson, CSO, Sigrid Therapeutics
Phone: + 46705473994
Damir Konakovic, Head of Oral Health Division, Sigrid Therapeutics
Sana Alajmovic, Co-Founder & CEO, Sigrid Therapeutics
Phone +46 72 389 3396,
About Sigrid Therapeutics
Sigrid Therapeutics (Sigrid) is a clinical-stage consumer focused health tech company pioneering a new class of engineered materials to prevent and treat metabolic disease and disorders, including type 2 diabetes. The Company’s lead product candidate, SiPore21®, is an orally-administered medical device based on the Company’s proprietary platform technology, SiPore®. Designed to act locally in the gut, SiPore21® consists of precisely engineered micron-sized mesoporous silica particles (MSPs) with tailored porosity. Clinical data confirms the beneficial effects of MSPs on a range of metabolic parameters and their excellent safety profile3,5,6. Upon its approval, SiPore21® will be the first medical treatment available for reduction of blood sugar levels in people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. https://www.sigridthx.com/.
- Large pore mesoporous silica induced weight loss in obese mice, Nanomedicine, 2014 https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/10.2217/nnm.13.138
- Mesoporous Silica with Precisely Controlled Pores Reduces Food Efficiency and Suppresses Weight Gain in Mice, Nanomedicine, 2020, https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/10.2217/nnm-2019-0262
- Entrapping Digestive Enzymes with Engineered Mesoporous Silica Particles Reduces Metabolic Risk Factors in Humans, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.202000057
- Towards mesoporous silica as a pharmaceutical treatment for obesity – impact on lipid digestion and absorption, European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2022.02.001
- Oral intake of mesoporous silica is safe and well tolerated in male humans, PLoS ONE, 2020, DOI: 10.1002/adhm.202000057. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0240030
- Engineered mesoporous silica reduces long-term blood glucose, HbA1c, and improves metabolic parameters in prediabetics, Nanomedicine, 2022, https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2021-0235
- Mesoporous Silica Particles Retain their Structure and Function While Passing Through the Gastrointestinal Tracts of Mice and Humans, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.2c16710.