Stockholm, Sweden – Thursday January 25, 2024. Sigrid Therapeutics, a clinical-stage healthtech company dedicated to revolutionizing the management of obesity and diabetes prevention with a novel, fast-acting, non-pharmaceutical technology, announced today it entered into an agreement with Cencora (formerly AmerisourceBergen) aimed at accelerating the commercialization of its SiPore® technology.
SiPore21®, the company’s flagship product, is currently undergoing SHINE clinical trials as an innovative medical device designed for sustained blood sugar and weight control. Administered orally, SiPore21® utilizes a carefully engineered, mesoporous silica mineral to prevent digestive enzymes from breaking down carbohydrates and fats, offering a promising alternative to pharmaceutical methods. In addition to obesity and diabetes, Sigrid is also actively pursuing SiPore® applications in other markets, including food supplements, veterinary, and oral health.
Cencora will provide a variety of services, including strategy consulting, regulatory consulting, and market access support, to strategize the market introduction of the SiPore® technology, pending regulatory approval.
“With SiPore®’s clinical development for obesity and blood sugar control advancing at a rapid pace and funding secured in our recent over-subscribed round, we are ready to accelerate commercialization,” said Sana Alajmovic, Co-Founder & CEO of Sigrid Therapeutics. “After an extensive search, we have identified Cencora as a partner who understands fully our expectations and will be able to help us fulfil our ambition to introduce one of the most important innovations in obesity and diabetes treatment.”
“As a leading provider of clinical and commercialization services, we partner with pharmaceutical and biotech companies to help them accelerate product development and efficiently bring products to global markets,” said Willis Chandler, President of Global Pharma Services at Cencora. “We’re thrilled to support Sigrid Therapeutics’ pre-commercial launch preparations as the company moves toward a potential launch in the United States and Europe.”
About Sigrid Therapeutics
Sigrid Therapeutics (Sigrid) is a clinical-stage consumer focused healthtech company pioneering a new class of engineered materials to prevent and treat metabolic disease and disorders, including type 2 diabetes. The Company’s lead product, SiPore21®, is an orally-administered medical device based on the Company’s proprietary platform technology, SiPore®. Designed to act locally in the gut, SiPore21® consists of precisely engineered micron-sized mesoporous silica particles (MSPs) with tailored porosity. Clinical data confirms the beneficial effects of SiPore® technology on a range of metabolic parameters and its excellent safety profile3-7. SiPore21® benefits from a unique mode of action, employing a mechanical entrapment of amylase and lipase within its porous structure. This physically hinders the interaction of digestive enzymes with food, effectively reducing the breakdown of carbohydrates and fats8. SiPore21® is being developed as the first oral medical device for blood sugar control in people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. https://www.sigridthx.com/.
Cencora is a leading global pharmaceutical solutions organization centered on improving the lives of people and animals around the world. We partner with pharmaceutical innovators across the value chain to facilitate and optimize market access to therapies. Care providers depend on us for the secure, reliable delivery of pharmaceuticals, healthcare products, and solutions. Our 46,000+ worldwide team members contribute to positive health outcomes through the power of our purpose: We are united in our responsibility to create healthier futures. Cencora is ranked #11 on the Fortune 500 and #24 on the Global Fortune 500 with more than $200 billion in annual revenue. Learn more at www.cencora.com.
- Large pore mesoporous silica induced weight loss in obese mice, Nanomedicine, 2014,https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/10.2217/nnm.13.138.
- Mesoporous Silica with Precisely Controlled Pores Reduces Food Efficiency and Suppresses Weight Gain in Mice, Nanomedicine, 2020, https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/10.2217/nnm-2019-0262.
- Entrapping Digestive Enzymes with Engineered Mesoporous Silica Particles Reduces Metabolic Risk Factors in Humans, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.202000057.
- Towards mesoporous silica as a pharmaceutical treatment for obesity – impact on lipid digestion and absorption, European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2022.02.001.
- Oral intake of mesoporous silica is safe and well tolerated in male humans, PLoS ONE, 2020, DOI: 10.1002/adhm.202000057. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0240030
- Engineered mesoporous silica reduces long-term blood glucose, HbA1c, and improves metabolic parameters in prediabetics, Nanomedicine, 2021, https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2021-0235.
- Mesoporous Silica Particles Retain their Structure and Function While Passing Through the Gastrointestinal Tracts of Mice and Humans,ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.2c16710.
- Activity and Stability of Nanoconfined Alpha-Amylase in Mesoporous SilicaACS MATERIAL Au, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsmaterialsau.3c00028. Publication date: August 4, 2023.